Sometimes it can be very difficult to get your child to eat healthy foods. Picky eating is very common in preschoolers. Although this can be frustrating, if your child is healthy, growing normally, and has plenty of energy, he or she is most likely getting the essential nutrients. However, if your child’s picky eating is very restrictive and has you concerned, speak with his or her doctor. Here are some tips to get your child to try new foods:
- Offer new foods many times. Often kids won’t try a food the first couple of times it is served.
- Try smaller portions. This will give them a small taste of something new.
- Only offer a new food one at a time. Serve it alongside foods your child already enjoys.
- Serve new foods at the beginning of the meal when your child is the most hungry.
- Try plates with separated sections for each different food.
- Let you child help prepare meals.
- Be a good food role model and try new foods. Describe taste, texture and smell to your child.
- Make sure food is appealing. You can try fun shapes of some foods.
- Schedule regular family meals together.
For more great articles, click to our Health & Wellness area. It’s a free resource provided to the members of PharmacyCard.org.